Can we all just agree to pretend that it hasn’t been two months since the last post?
Yes? Great. Moving on…
This recipe definitely feels like a spring one to me, and luckily the weather here has just about started to act like spring. The days are getting longer and longer, and the other day I was even able to walk to work without my coat on!
I almost feel like I can’t even call this a recipe, because grilled cheese is so easy to make that I’m not sure it counts. But when the weather is getting warmer and you want to start spending all your time outside in that glorious sun instead of stuck inside slaving away, maybe a simple recipe is a really good thing!
When I say simple, I mean simple execution-wise. Flavor-wise, this recipe packs such a punch! I mean, when you look at the recipe list, it’s obvious this one’s going to be good: goat cheese, pesto, spinach, avocado, and mozzarella – what’s not to love? Throw in some wholegrain bread so it’s “healthy,” and you’ve got a winner!
Loaded Grilled Cheese
- 2 slices wholegrain bread
- 1Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp goats cheese
- 1 Tbsp pesto
- handful of spinach leaves
- 1/4 avocado, sliced
- 2-3 slices mozzarella
- Spread half of the butter one side of each slice of bread (“outside”).
- Spread goats cheese on the “inside” of one slice of bread. Over that, spread the pesto.
- Layer the spinach leaves and then the avocado on top of the goats cheese and pesto.
- Top with the mozzarella and the other slice of bread, butter side out.
- Place the sandwich in a pan over medium-low heat. Do not be tempted to turn the heat up! By keeping the sandwich over medium-low, the inside will have time to get warmed through, melting the cheeses and fusing everything together, by the time the outside gets nicely browned without burning. It will take a little longer, but it is so worth it!
- Once the bottom is nicely browned and the insides are starting to melt, flip the sandwich (carefully!) and brown the other side.
- Remove from the pan, slice in half, and serve immediately.
I had mine with the pictured tomato soup (recipe coming soon!) but I didn’t end up dunking the sandwich in the soup, because both the grilled cheese and the soup were so flavorful on their own that I had them as two separate dishes.
There are tons of grilled cheese flavor combos out there. This one includes lots of my favorite flavors, but I’m always looking for new ones to try. What’s your favorite grilled cheese combo?