Okay, so it’s the eleventh hour, and you’re stuck. Forgot to do anything for Valentine’s, and now the Day is upon us. What to do?!
Never fear. I have a recipe for you with three outstanding qualities that will solve your Valentine’s dilemma:
- you can whip it up in about 20 minutes
- it only takes five ingredients, most (or all) of which you probably already have in your kitchen
- it seems like a great gift, until you discover that actually it’s an absolutely incredible gift
So relax! Valentine’s Day is officially saved.
How are we going to save Valentine’s Day? By taking two foods I love and putting them together! Unless done carefully, this technique could lead to disaster (chicken tikka ma-snickers, anyone?). When done carefully, though, you can land yourself with something amazing. Something like…
Chocolate-Covered, Cheesecake-Stuffed Strawberries!
About a year ago, I made these cheesecake-stuffed strawberries for the first time. I thought they looked fun, so I whipped them up and brought them to a party. A giant plate of them disappeared in under five minutes, so I knew I had struck gold. Ever the fan of happy (and easy!) surprises, I decided to disguise these gems as plain old chocolate-covered strawberries. (And believe me, before making these, I never would have called chocolate-covered strawberries “plain”!) And they were so simple.
Just take your strawberries and hollow them out from the pointy end (this is the longest step, but it is made much easier by using a vegetable peeler like this).
Pipe in the filling, which is a mixture of cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract.
Dip the filled strawberries in melted chocolate and then let them cool. They really are a fun surprise, because once they are dipped in chocolate, they look just like regular chocolate-covered strawberries.
If you make a lot, it will take a bit longer. I made about four dozen, and the entire process took me about an hour and a half (although that included breaks to take pictures and wash dishes).
Chocolate-Covered Cheesecake-Stuffed Strawberries
Makes about 24 strawberries
(although that depends on the size of your strawberries)
- 1 lb strawberries
- 8 oz cream cheese (I used regular this time. When I used low-fat, the filling was a little too thin.)
- 3-4 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 oz chocolate (I used semisweet baker’s chocolate.)
- Mix together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract.
- Rinse the strawberries. Hollow them out from the pointy end using a vegetable peeler or a small knife. Leave the stems on the strawberries for ease of dipping later.
- Scoop the cream cheese filling into a piping bag or small plastic bag with the corner snipped off.
- Pipe the filling into the strawberries. I found that the filling stuck in the strawberries best if I put the tip of the bag into the strawberries and gently pulled it away once the strawberry was almost entirely full.
- Cut the chocolate into small chunks, and then melt it in a double boiler or in the microwave for 20-30 seconds at a time.
- Holding the stem, dip one strawberry at a time into the melted chocolate, rolling it until it is well coated.
- Lay the chocolate-covered strawberries on a baking sheet lined with wax paper.
- Once all of the strawberries are finished, cool them in the refrigerator until the chocolate has completely set.
What a fun surprise for your loved ones, colleagues, friends, or yourself on Valentine’s Day!